Sunday, May 22, 2022

My 20 Mile Bike Ride and First Dog Attack

Thursday, May 19th, was "Favorite Book and Stuffed Animal" day at school. Theo INSISTED on taking a picture with his giant baby Yoda!



Every time Josh goes to the store he comes home with new plants. I can't complain because I love Calla Lilies!


Theo's poor feet are continuing to heal!


I was told that lavender can help heal sores, so I bought some bubble bath for Theo. We've also been keeping the wound clean and applying copious amounts of Neosporin. 



Theo had nine seizures today.

Friday, May 20th, we had a quite day at home. Theo did some homework and had PT.


Despite the quiet day, Theo had 11 seizures and I had to give him his emergency medication because he had three seizures in one hour.


Josh and I have decided to remodel our laundry/mud room. We are buying a new washer and dryer and we signed up to have a designer from Home Depot come to our house and design our new laundry room. I think putting in cupboards and a nice backsplash will make the whole room look better. I am excited to have a place to hide all of our cleaning supplies!



Saturday, May 21st, was another quiet day at home.


Theo's feet are continuing to heal.




Theo had eight seizures today.

On Sunday, May 22nd, I decided to go on a long bike ride. I've been researching triathlons and even though I'm not doing mine until May 2023, I still need to train.

[Average times for women]

I planned out my bike route and decided to head out into the corn fields. There are no bike lanes in town (there are hardly any shoulders), so I figured I would be safer out on the county roads where there are less people and traffic and the roads are long and flat.


I rode for 10 miles and then decided to head back home.


I turned right and headed north for a block before turning right again and heading back towards town. 

As I was about to pass a lone house to my right (I was biking in the road) I saw a dog running full speed towards me from the yard. I started to get a little worried, so I moved further to the left, towards the middle of the street, and continued biking. I figured the dog would stop at the street and bark at me, but he did not. He continued running at me FULL SPEED. I got nervous and when the dog was just a few feet away I nervously said, "Hi, puppy" but I knew it wasn't going to help. The dog started snarling and bared his teeth before he lunged at my leg. Since I was still on my bike and moving forward he missed and rammed hard into my back tire. I screamed and tried to continue riding, but the dog kept lunging at me and attacking my bike. I was so terrified that I was screaming at the top of my lungs. The dog just kept snarling and lunging at me and my bike until the owner ran out and called the dog back to him. 

Now, I’m in the middle of a busy county road crying and trying to get back on my bike. Even as the dog ran back to its owner it kept turning around and baring his teeth at me. I got back on my bike and continued down the road. The owner yelled to me “Did he get ya?” I said “He got my bike!” and then I kept peddling. 

Guys, I was terrified. Not only for myself but also for the dog. It chased me at full speed into the street. I was not on the owners property - I was riding in the street like I should be. Of course, I am NEVER going to ride down that road again (which is a shame because it was a nice, long, flat road), but what was I supposed to do? What if the dog ran into the street after me and got hit by a car? How awful would that be? What if this happens again? Can I defend myself? Luckily I was able to keep the bike between myself and the dog, but I also run. What if this happened while I was running? I understand that while dogs are on their own property they don’t have to be leashed, but once they leave the property and run into the street that is an issue.

Luckily, the dog didn't bite me, but he did do some damage to my bike. I still had about 8 miles to go on my ride and they went by FAST (I had quite an adrenaline rush). I did notice that my bike made a strange noise when I changed gears. It just wasn't as smooth as it was before. I am going to take my bike back to REI as soon as I can and have them check it out.



I was still SOOO upset after I got home from my bike ride that I called animal control. The poor guy on the phone listened to me patiently while I cried and told him what happened. He told me that he could issue a citation to the owner, but I would need to sign it since I was the only witness. I declined. But he said he would still go out and talk to the owner. Like I said before, the dog doesn't have to be on a leash as long as it's on the owners property. But once it leaves the property it HAS to be on a "leash and controlled by a responsible human." I asked the animal control guy what my rights were if this happened again. He said I have every right to protect myself and that I could use pepper spray (or something like that). Animal Control also asked me to describe the dog. All I could remember was the dog had two different colored eyes and teeth like a shark. I can definitely identify that dog by it's teeth!

I ordered some pepper spray, so hopefully I can get back out there and ride again soon.

[Mama Dove protecting her eggs]

Theo's feet are looking better!



Later that afternoon I went to Target to find some fun things to give to Theo's teachers, aids, and nurses at school. Graduation is on Tuesday and I want them to know how much we love and appreciate all of them!

I first went to find the new location of Cups n Cakes! They moved to a new building in the same area and hopefully will be open by the end of the summer!


At Target I bought mugs, candy, and gift cards to Cold Stone. 


All done!


Theo had 12 seizures today.

No comments: