Thursday, August 16, 2018

Two Weeks in Downers Grove - Part III: Theo's Birthday Party

The big day was here! Theo's birthday party was happening! First, I want to thank everyone who helped me get ready! I couldn't have done it without all of you!

Sunday, August 5th, I asked Missy and Ally to run to Party City to pick up the balloons, while my mom ran to the grocery store to pick up a few items, and Luke and I went to Milette's Cakes to get Theo's cakes. Everyone at the house pitched in too: Josh BBQ'd, my dad made a fruit tray, and everyone else helped set out the food and put up decorations.

Side Story: Way back in April I went to Milette's to get a birthday cake and a smash cake made for Theo's birthday party. I showed them a picture of a beautiful three tiered Star Wars cake. I told them I wanted the top tier to be chocolate with Nutella buttercream frosting, the second tier to be red velvet with cream cheese frosting, and the bottom tier to be yellow cake with chocolate buttercream. She said it could be done! Yay! I then showed them a picture of the smash cake I wanted and they said they would do that one for free. Double yay!



When Luke and I arrived at the bakery we were shocked with, not only, how amazing the cake looked but how tall it was. The baker said that the best way to transport it would be for Luke to hold it on his lap and use his gloved hand to hold the top (R2-D2 made the cake a little top heavy). As we carefully drove back to the house I got a distress call from Missy and Ally! They told me there were too many balloons and they couldn't fit them all in their car! 

Luke and I then dropped the cakes off at the house and then ran out to Party City to get the rest of the balloons!



[Isn't it AMAZING?!]


I asked the bakery to make Theo a Smashcake and showed them a picture of the one I wanted. I told them it could just be an oversized cupcake, but nothing too big. And this is what I got! They went above and beyond what I wanted! I loved it!



  
Once everyone got back from their various errands, we decorated the table, put out the balloons, and then started the party!

A few of Josh's co-workers (along with their wives and kids) and George and Julie came too!







After everyone ate we took family pictures, sang "Happy Birthday", and cut the cake.


  




[Family photo]

[All of Theo's cousins]


   

[Singing "Happy Birthday!"]

[Theo and Great-Grandma Judy]


[Grandparents and Great-Grandparents]

[Grandparents]


[Four Generation Picture] 



[I tried to give Theo some frosting, but he didn't seem interested. Later, Josh put some on his hands and he seemed to me more into that!]






[Cutting the beautiful cake 😭]















[Red Velvet with Cream Cheese Frosting - Darth Vader tier]




[Chocolate with Nutella Buttercream - R2-D2 tier]


[Yellowcake with Chocolate Buttercream - Chewy tier]






[Getting into the buttercream! 😋]





 


[Theo and Grandpa George]











[Theo and Grammy Suzi]


[Porter!]

[Dane thought it would be a good idea to twist the balloons around his hand. Well, he got stuck and Josh had to cut him out!] 

Thanks everyone for coming all the way from Wisconsin, Minnesota, Ohio, and Utah for Theo's birthday party! It was a HUGE success and I'm so glad that everyone was there to celebrate with us!

And just in case you were wondering, the cake was DELICIOUS! My favorite was the chocolate with the Nutella buttercream. We had cake everyday for the next week! Totally worth it!

No comments: