Thursday, February 25, 2016

Impromptu Trip to Europe: Part II - Pena, Portugal

The next morning (February 8th) we left Lisbon and headed west to Sintra to see the Pena National Palace. Since my parents had been here before they decided to save their money and not go into the Palace grounds again. They dropped me off (with my umbrella in hand) at the gate where I bought my ticket and then headed up the 14% slope to the palace. 

















[Moor castle on top of the hill]


[The Atlantic Ocean]






I walked around the outside of the castle (since it had stopped raining) before heading inside.








[Of course the King had to have his own church inside his Palace]




While I was wandering through the interior I came across a tour so I joined in. 






The palace was so cool! I loved all the colors on the exterior and each room on the interior was special and beautiful.

After the tour I headed back down the cobble stone hill where my parents picked me up. We then headed north to Averio. I had read in my travel book that it is the "Venice of Portugal" so we decided to check it out.

We found the town and drove through it. Sure, it did have ONE canal with like two or three Gondolas, but other then that it was nothing like Venice (I should know, I've been there twice, right?!). We couldn't find parking and I wasn't that impressed so we decided to continue on to our next destination: Porto!

We arrived in a rainy, cold Porto, found our apartment, and then went to a local restaurant to get Francesinha's! These sandwiches are originally from Porto. It consists of bread, ham, sausage, and steak covered with melted cheese and a hot tomato sauce. I wasn't a huge fan of the ham but the rest of it was amazing! It was nice to have something hot on a cold rainy night!


No comments: