Saturday, February 27, 2016

Impromptu Trip to Europe: Part V - Seville, Spain

On February 14th (Happy Valentines Day and Happy Birthday to my little brother Luke!) we jumped in our little rental car and headed north to Seville.

I tried to do the best I could navigating but when the roads are super narrow and curvy and some of them are one-way roads, it's gets a little difficult!

We tried twice to get to our hotel by car before we realized we would have to park some where and then walk in. 

We found our hotel, dropped off our things, and then did what we do best: found the hop-on-hop-off bus!



[It was cold on the top of the bus but that is the best way to see the city!]





[Plaza de toros de la Real Maestranza de Caballeria de Sevilla - Bull Fighting Ring]



After the cold bus ride we walked over to the Plaza de Espana! I had done my research and I was very excited to see this place. But for some reason it was closed! What?! I had read that it was closed on Mondays and it should be opened on Sunday. Total bummer!


Since we struck out we walked back to the hotel and decided to rest until dinner. A few minutes after my parents left me along in my room they came knocking on my door. They said that the Seville Cathedral (the largest Cathedral in the world and third largest church) is just down the street and it closes in a few minutes. We walked down there and decided to wait until the next morning to go inside.






We walked down the street and got dinner before heading back to the hotel to Facetime with Luke. The internet connection was bad but we were still able to wish him a happy birthday!


[Our super cute hotel]



The next morning (February 15th) we got up, went and got breakfast (I had mouth-watering chocolate creme crepes), and then got in line at the Cathedral. When it opened at 11:00 AM there was a huge line around the building but it went fast.


This church is huge! HUGE! And beautiful!






[Christopher Columbus' tomb - not a fan of the man but his tomb is pretty impressive]



After walking around the Cathedral and seeing a few of its 80 churches, we hiked to the top of the bell tower.


[I LOVE the Gothic style!]


[What a view!]






After exploring the Cathedral we checked out of the hotel and headed north to Madrid. It was a long drive and we got lost once we entered the Autopista de Circunvalacion M-30, which is a 10 km five-lane tunnel, and we couldn't find our way out!

We finally reached our hotel and checked in and, of course, we had to go find a parking garage. Well that was an adventure! It was right down the road and it took us 20 minutes to find it. While we were walking back to the hotel I went into a shop to buy a hat and gloves. It was way too cold to be walking around without protection!


No comments: