Thursday, February 8, 2018

Theo's Six Months Old

Our little boy is six months old! He’s tall (28 inches), thin (16 lbs 4 ounces), has a large head (46 cm) with chubby cheeks and a round belly! Theo loves to smile, watch his blinky toys, take baths, eat applesauce, and “talk” to mommy and dad. We are still working on tummy time but, due to Theo’s hydrocephalus, he is having a hard time lifting his swollen, heavy head. He had his first angiogram, third Echocardiogram, another blood draw for more genetic testing, four stitches, and multiple doctors appointments this month. 

We went to see his Pediatrician, Dr. Dave, for Theo's 6 month wellness check. After being measured the nurse asked us yes or no questions about Theo's development. Sadly, I had to answer no for most of them. Dr. Dave then came in and checked out Theo. He said that Theo's development is VERY similar to other kids that he has seen with Hydrocephalus. They tend to fall behind in development until the hydrocephalus gets taken care of, then most of them catch up pretty quickly and they can become very "smart cookies." I also asked him about Early Interventions and he said that once his hydrocephalus is taken care of they will send us to Early Interventions to get Theo back on the right path. Dr. Dave continued to check out Theo and then turned to me and asked me how I was doing. I said I was tired, not sleeping well, and stressed out. He looked at me with such a kind expression. He said that he was sorry about everything and that they will be thinking about us. Since the first time I met Dr. Dave I have felt that he cares so much for both Theo and myself. 

[Working on his grabbing skills]


[Love my cuddle time]

[Tummy time]


[Snow! It's Chicago... what did I expect?!]



[Theo lost almost all of his baby hair but he had this little pony-tail in the back that wouldn't let go. I finally cut it off. It looks so much better now!]


[Bubble beard]


[We saw the Super Blood Blue Moon! It was pretty cool!]

[Tummy time with his Porg]


[He loves to cuddle with his blanket and dad]


[And with his rattle]

[Smiles!]



[We have been giving Theo apples and he has mixed feelings, but overall he likes them!]












[I love his new outfit! Thanks Em and Kenny!]


[Sometimes Theo just wants to sit on my lap and watch his toys instead of laying in his gym]





[I love him so much!]



Theo is having his first brain surgery this week to fix his aneurysm. We have a brilliant team of doctors (Cardiologist, Neurologist, Neurosurgeon, and Interventional Radiologist) who will performing and assisting in his surgery. Theo will be in the hospital for 3-5 days so the doctors can monitor him for heart failure and other complications. After Theo recovers the doctors will decide if a shunt is necessary to drain his excess CSF and take care of his hydrocephalus. This will be another, and more invasive, surgery that will be done by the Neurosurgeon. 

We appreciate all the thoughts, prayers, and good vibes we’ve received. Please keep them coming, Theo has a long road ahead of him.

No comments: