Sunday, May 27, 2018

Trip to Utah and California: Part I - Utah

I was talking to my mom a few months ago and she said they wanted to go out to Utah for Porters 1st birthday and then go and spend a week in CA to visit the Neilson family. I told her that Theo and I would be up for a trip, especially if they decided to fly through Chicago so I could have some help flying with Theo for the first time! Of course, my mom happily obliged!

Saturday, May 19th:

Theo and I spent the day packing and then we headed to Josh's work so he could take us to the airport. I was having a hard time packing (since I ALWAYS overpack), but I knew I had to fit everything into one suitcase, Theo's diaper bag, and his carseat carrying case. And I did! I bought this great carseat carrying case from Amazon and it was well worth the $30! I was able to fit Theo's base, carseat, a few toys, and part of his therapy chair in there!

[Diaper bag items]

[All ready to go!]

I had to get through check in and TSA on my own, but I wasn't too worried since I am an experience traveler AND I had done a lot of research (like asking family and friends for advice).

Once we got through TSA, Theo and I met up with my parents. We got some dinner and then headed to the gate. Since the flight wasn't full my mom and I were able to grab three seats, so Theo could have his own. And my dad sat in the Exit row so he could have more leg room.




I made Theo a bottle for take off because I was worried about his ears. After he ate he took a nap and was a perfect angel for the entire flight!

We got into SLC, grabbed our rental van, drove to Provo, and checked into our cute Airbnb.

Sunday, May 20th:

In the morning we headed over to Luke, Andie, and Porters apartment to hang out. For lunch we got In-n-Out (SO GOOD!) and then we went to the All Together Park where we played on the swings. 

[Papa with Theo and Porter]

[Porter is so close to walking!] 




[I've missed these mountains!] 



["Hi! Can I please have a hamburger, protein style, no onions, add pickles, a fry-well, and a water?"]

[All Together Park]
  













That night we went to the Smith's (Andie's parents) house for dinner and dessert. Can I just tell you how much I love the Smith's?! They are such a kind and welcoming family! After dinner we went on a walk around the neighborhood (aka the "Smith Parade"). 

[The Smith Parade]

Monday, May 21st:

My mom volunteered to watch Porter this week since Luke and Andie are both working (but it's Andie's last week of work)! I decided to take advantage of this by scheduling lunch dates with some of my old friends who still live in Utah. So most days I would go over to Luke and Andie's place in the morning with mom, dad, and Theo, and then at lunch head out to meet up with a friend. Thanks mom and dad for watching Theo for me!

On Monday, I went to the Museum of Peoples and Cultures (MPC) just north of the BYU campus to meet up with my old boss and friend, Dave Yoder. When I got to the museum, I was lost and had no idea where to find him. 

Side Note: This new MPC was built after I left BYU. I know the old one VERY well *cough cough* I cleaned out the basement once. All museums keep the good stuff in the basement 😜

After wondering around I ran into another old friend, Scott, who showed me around the new museum and took me into the back where everyone was. Not only did I get to see Dave, but my friend Mike, and Dr. Allison were also there! After catching up with everyone, Dave and I went to lunch at Cafe Rio! It was so good to see my old archaeology friend! It made me really miss it!

[Papa power naps!]

[I just HAD to steal some of Andie's BYU Creamery chocolate milk! It's the BEST!]

[DJ Porter]

After lunch I went back to Luke and Andie's to hang out with my family. That night we all went to PF Changs with Don, Gerri, and Jake Kolb (and Jake's girl friend). It was so fun to catch up with them. Dad and Don have been friends since they were three years old and we have a lot of great memories with that family!

Tuesday, May 22nd:

I left Theo with my parents and went to lunch at Village Baker in Lehi with my old roommate Lisa Rowland. I haven't seen her since the last time I was in Utah and it was so much fun to catch up! Of course, I forgot to take a picture! Ugh! 😩

Dad went golfing with Uncle Reed, Uncle Brian, and cousin Wesley, so mom and Aunt Janice watched the babies.






[I love Theo's shirt! It says, "My mom is a nerd and one day she will teach me all about the One Ring, the Boy Who Lived, and the Ways of the Force"]

 [I love the way Theo looks at Porter]

After I got back from lunch we went to Swig to get their famous cookies and drinks. 


[Andie, Porter, Wesley, Aunt Janice, Uncle Brian, and mom]

[I got a Dr. Pepper mixed with coconut and TWO cookies! Delicious!]

After we had our cookies, we went to Costco to do some shopping for Porter's Backyard BBQ Disney Tsum Tsum Birthday Party. Then we went and got dinner at Malawis Pizza.

[Porter checking in on Theo] 

Wednesday, May 23rd:

Wednesday was a very busy day for our little family! We started the day by visiting Andie at her school. Her kids were so excited to see Porter and they all squealed with delight when he started crawling! It was so cute! 



Andie then showed us around her school and playground. I can tell how much she is going to miss teaching, but she is so excited to be able to stay home with Porter full time.


After visiting Andie we went back to Luke and Andie's place to hang out until she got home from work. Aunt Tylyn and Annie stopped by really quickly to say hello and meet Theo.



After Andie got home, we all jumped in the mini van, picked up Luke from work, and then headed to SLC to meet up with all of my moms siblings! Sister Seely and Brother Seely (my mom's sister and her husband who are serving a mission for the LDS church) showed us around their office in the Joseph Smith Memorial Building.




[Mom, Aunt Janice, Uncle Brian, Aunt Clarese, Uncle Reed, Wesley, Courtney, Porter, Andie, Luke, Sister Seely, Rick, Theo, and Brother Seely] 

After looking around, we headed over to the City Creek Mall food court! I had to get some fry sauce (ketchup with mayo)! When in Rome!




After dinner we went to the Discover Genealogy Center. It was so amazing! We signed into our accounts (dad and I had to set ours up) and then we were able to learn all about our ancestors, our names, where we are from, who we are related to, etc.






[Classic Stringam Photo! 😂]

[The whole gang!]


[Lion House rolls with brown sugar butter! YUM!😋]

After spending time learning about our ancestors, we walked over to Brother and Sister Seely's apartment. Brother Seely made some of Grandma Stringam's famous chocolate chip cookies! They were delicious! I think Luke and I ate most of them!


[Theo was exhausted after a long day!] 

Thursday, May 24th: Happy Anniversary Josh and Happy Birthday Porter!

The next day I went back up to SLC to meet my archaeology friend Katie at one of our favorite restaurants: The Red Iguana! Even though we've kept in touch, I haven't seen her in eight years! She told me all about graduating from BYU with her Masters and then moving to Washington state to work on her PhD. She is done with her classes and now she has to write her dissertation (ABD). As I was listening to her stories I couldn't help but think that I could have had a very similar life. I had also been accepted to the BYU Masters program (a couple of years before her), but I decided not to attend. What would have happened if I did? Could I have my PhD? Could I be applying for Professor jobs right now? Maybe! BUT I probably would have never met Josh, fell in love, got married, and had Theo! It's just all so crazy to think about! I really do miss archaeology, but I would never give up the life I have now for it.



After a long lunch (dang, I really miss that girl!), I headed back to Orem.



[Such a good eater!]



[Porter's first Dr. Pepper! 😜 Kidding!]



After Luke and Andie got home from work we started getting ready for Porter's First Birthday Party!

[Porter with all his Tsum Tsum's]













Porter wasn't too into is cupcake, but that's okay! I'm sure he will like them some day!

The party was so fun and the food was great! Thanks to Ashlyn (Andie's sister) and her family for hosting!

Friday, May 25th:

The next day I drove back to SLC so I could have lunch with my college roommate Lacey! We met almost 15 years ago! EEK! We spent a long time catching up and eating Thai food (a tradition?). She recently got married and I couldn't be happier for her!


After lunch I headed back to Orem so we could all go visit Luke at his work. 





We then walked over to Los Hermanos to have some dinner with the extended family.


[Porter's birthday celebration continues!]

Half of the group then went to my mom's cousin's birthday party while the rest of us went and saw Solo: A Star Wars Story! It was so great!


Saturday, May 26th:

I drove back up to SLC for my final lunch date of the week. This time it was with my old archaeology friend, tent mate, and backpacking buddy, Syanna! We talked for hours and it was so great to see her! She told me that she plans on coming out to Chicago in the near future and I am excited to show her around!




That night we all went to Dan and Michelle Gebb's house for dinner. It was fun to see and hang out with some of my Stringam cousins, whom I don't see often enough.

After we got home from dinner I decided to FaceTime with Josh so I could show him Theo's newest trick! Theo started mimicking! I would make popping sounds with my mouth and Theo would try to do it too! It was so cute! We were laughing so hard!

P.S. I realized that I can't visit Utah anymore in the spring time. My allergies are completely out of control!

No comments: