Sunday, May 13, 2018

Weekend in Chicago with Katey

One of my best friends, Katey, and her husband, Paul, came to Chicago last weekend. Paul was in town for work and Katey decided to tag along!

I was super concerned about the weather. It was supposed to rain and be cold the entire weekend so to prepare Theo and I went to Buy Buy Baby to get a stroller cover. It was the best thing I ever purchased! We also packed ponchos, umbrellas, beanies, gloves, and a rain jacket. Chicago can be very nasty and unpredictable this time of year!

On Friday, May 11th, morning Theo and I headed into the city and got to our hotel, so I could valet the Rubicon for the day. We then grabbed our survival kit, packed it all into the stroller, and then headed to the Wildberry Cafe to meet up with Katey. 

[View from our hotel]

[Theo all toasty warm and happy in his stroller]

[Bacon, feta, and avocado omelet and cinnamon roll pancakes]

At breakfast Katey and I caught up and then made a plan for the day. It was supposed to be on and off rain on Friday and rain ALL DAY on Saturday. I told her it would be a good idea to see the park and do a lot of the outdoor sightseeing on Friday and go to the museum and do indoor things on Saturday. 

After a delicious breakfast we headed to Millennium Park. 

[Cloud Gate]





We then walked by the Jay Pritzker Pavilion, 



Buckingham Fountain, and


Crown Fountain, 


before heading to the Willis/Sears Tower.






After seeing the views of the city and getting our picture taken, we headed to Garrets Popcorn so Katey could get a taste of a Chicago favorite!

[Bucket List at Willis/Sears Tower]

We then headed to the Nutella Cafe to get some gelato before walking north to the Magnificent Mile to do a little shopping.


[John Hancock Building]


After walking the Mag Mile, we headed to Navy Pier. Paul was done with his work so he met us there. It started to get super windy so we headed to Giordano's to get some of their famous stuffed deep dish pizza! Josh got into town right as we were going to dinner so he was able to join us!




The next morning, Theo and I met Katey and Paul at Stan's Donuts.



We grabbed some tasty treats before heading to the Chicago River so we could go on an Architecture Boat Tour. I would recommend this tour for ANYONE coming to Chicago, but I really wanted Katey to experience it because she loves architecture.


[Our hotel on the left]


[The sail boats were out so they had to keep raising and lowering the bridges]







After the boat tour we headed to America's Dog and Burger (AD&B) to get some Chicago dogs. 


We then headed back to Millennium Park and Buckingham Fountain but it started to rain so we headed to the Art Institute of Chicago. 





I took Theo out of his stroller and put him in a wrap so I could carry him around more easily. We checked the stroller and our jackets, and then headed to the second floor. 

[A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte by Georges Seurat]

Theo did not like being in the wrap. He cried and cried until I took him out. Then he fell asleep. I loved seeing the Impressionist paintings like Van Gogh and Monet and I was happy that Katey and Paul enjoyed themselves too!


After the museum we walked back to our hotel and hung out until Josh got here (he had to work). We then all headed across the river to have dinner at HUB 51. It was delicious and a lot of fun!

The next morning we met at Wildberry Cafe to celebrate Mother's Day and have one final meal together. 




Josh, Theo, and I then headed home while Katey and Paul did some more sightseeing before catching their plan back to Delaware. 

I am so glad Katey and Paul came out to see us! I had so much fun being a tour guide and Theo was so great all weekend which made things so much easier!

After we got home I noticed that our water pressure was really low. Before I could even call the owners a team of guys (and on lookers) showed up. They dug until the reached the water line, repaired it, and cleaned up their mess. They were super fast and I would have been very impressed if they had not cut our internet line in the process! UGH!




No comments: