Monday, October 18, 2010

Born to Run

It was a hot summer day, the hike was burley and I was sweating like crazy. All of a sudden I heard my coworker say, "Court, I can't do this anymore. We just weren't built for this." I paused and immediately thought back to my Biological Anthropology/Evolutionary Biology class and replied, "Yes, yes we were."

We were built for more then just long distance walking, we were built for long distance running. It's in our genes. It's part of our history. Why do you think we out lived the smarter, bulkier, tougher Neanderthals? Because we could run!

If you have ever ran, or walked, or stood on your own two feet you should read this:


Have you ever had an injury from running? Did you then go out and buy really nice, cushy, expensive running shoes and then get injured again? Do you want someone or something to blame? Blame your shoes! Our ancestors didn't have Nikes 200,000 years ago and they were just fine. And you know what? We don't need nice expensive shoes now.


The book is about long distance running and it focuses on a tribe of running people called the Tarahumara. These people have the secret of ultramarathon running and they are willing to share it. The book is full of facts, research, and an amazing story. I don't want to spoil anything but I promise if you read it you won't be disappointed.

P.S. Have you seen these? They may look ridiculous but they are amazing!

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Awesome! My SIL is actually going to run the LA marathon this next year barefoot. She's a believer, and I totally am, too.

Now, to actually run again... hmmm... :)