Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Weekend in SLC


During my five days up north I never went to sleep before midnight, but it was all worth it.

The GBAC:
When I tell people that I am going to an Archaeological Conference they always respond with something like, "What do you have to talk about? Hasn't everything already been found?"

In short, no, not everything has been found. Archaeology, like other sciences, is a ongoing field. New information and discoveries are always coming in. The best way to hear about these discoveries is to read about it in various Anthropological/Archaeological magazines BUT I don't have time for that! I would rather hear about it during a presentation then read about it.

Conferences are fun because the field of Great Basin archaeology is small so if you don't know someone chances are you've heard of them. As for me, I know a lot of people because I've been working in the Great Basin for the last 6 years (not as long as most, but long enough). I have made a ton of friends and it's a blast to see them a couple times a year (at conferences)!

Old college friends:
One of the highlights of my trip was being able to go to dinner (at CPK!) with my college freshman roommates! It has been a few years since I've seen most of them and it was so great to catch up. I know we all blog BUT it is always more fun to see everyone!

[Picture from one of our previous reunions. 2005 maybe?]

I also stayed with Emily for a few days which was a blast! It makes me sad that I would be able to hangout with her as much once she gets married and moves away so I gotta soak it all up while I can.


BYU Football:
I went to the BYU football with my cousin, her husband, and their kid. There is no way I would let the rain stop me from enjoying a little college football! BYU won... well, Wyoming lost... but I still had a great time!


Overall it was a great 5 days! Thanks to everyone for making time to see me!
*Special shout out to Nate and Mal, Coleen, and the Searcy's!*

1 comment:

Nate and Malorie said...

What up! Loved seeing you. Got nothing but love court!!