Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Utah Trips

I love to travel. Surprised? You shouldn't be. Anyways, I've been living in Utah for almost 9 years now and I hope to leave someday. I don't know when and I don't know if "someday" will ever come but I can hope, right?

So, I need to see Utah. As an archaeologist I hike for a living so it is really hard to motivate myself to get out and see Utah when all I want to do on the weekends is rest. Plus, i get to see a lot of Utah when I am out hiking for my job, but I haven't done/seen a lot of the "touristy" things in the state. Sure, I've been off the beaten path and I've discovered amazing things that very few people will ever see or know about, but I've never been to Canyonlands or Capital Reef or Fremont Indian State Park or Hovenweep! Geeze. Does this make me a bad archaeologist?

Because of this I have come up with a list of places in Utah (and the 4 corners area) that I must see before I leave this beautiful place:

Places include:

Utah: Hole in the Rock, Blanding, Boulder, Bluff, Horseshoe Canyon, Barrier Canyon, Zion (been there a few times but need to go back), Monument Valley, Newspaper Rock, Cedar Mesa, Goblin Valley, Capital Reef, Canyonlands, Anasazi State Park, Fremont Indian State Park

New Mexico: Aztec and Chaco Canyon

Colorado: Mesa Verde and Hovenweep

I do know that some of these are large trips that will take planning and a lot of time but we will start small. This weekend Josh and I are heading to Fremont Indian State Park.

It's a start!

No comments: