Monday, December 10, 2012

My California Teams

This year has been frustrating for us Southern California sports fans. It makes me mad when I dedicate so much time to my teams and NONE of them deliver.

The Angels signed Pujols and Wilson in the off-season. Everyone thought that this would give the team a chance, a good chance, to make it to the World Series. They didn't even make it to the playoffs.


Late in the season the Dodgers acquired three big name players from the Red Sox which they would use in the final push to the playoffs. As with the Angels, the big names didn't deliver and they missed the playoffs, again.


The Chargers have been frustrating for a long time. Philip Rivers is a good quarterback so why can't they win? Oh, it's because they have no one for him to throw the ball to (well, besides Antonio Gates)! The Broncos already clinched the division so the Chargers will be watching the post-season from the comfort of their homes.


The Lakers have had a lot of drama (what else is new?). In the off-season they acquired Dwight Howard and Steve Nash. The team, the fans, and the analysts all thought that the Lakers would be unstoppable. After going 0-8 in the preseason and 0-3 at the beginning of the regular season, the Lakers fired their head coach Mike Brown* and hired Mike D'Antoni OVER Phil Jackson (don't get me started). They are still struggling. Howard can't make a Free Throw to save his life, Kobe is getting frustrated, Nash is hurt, and D'Antoni benched Gasol. They better get their act together if they want to make it to the playoffs.

*I was happy to see him go. I didn't think he should have been hired in the first place. I was on Team Brian Shaw.


I am starting to understand "fair-weather-fans" now. It hurst, emotionally, to watch my teams lose. It may sound crazy but I have an emotional connection to my guys. When they lose it makes me sad and when they win it cheers me up. I just don't know how long I can just sit back and watch them suffer. I dedicate so much time to my teams (watching their games, watching Sports Center, reading about them on ESPN.com and Grantland, etc.) and I spend a lot of money on them (those jersey's aren't cheap) so I want them to win so I can justify all that time and money. Come on guys! Get it together! I won't give up on you so stop breaking my heart!

No comments: