Monday, October 12, 2020

Walk-In at MPC, St Jude's, and LAKERS

Theo is continuing with his e-learning and is getting more and more use to sitting in his "big boy chair" and watching videos.

[I told Theo's teacher and therapist that he loves Elmo. So, they try to find educational videos that feature our favorite red monster.]



We heard a rumor that they will start in-person school on October 19th! We are so excited and I'm having Theo wear his shield as often as he can.


[Getting better at coloring]



On October 6th, we had a "Walk-in" at Theo's school. He did pretty well letting his PT and OT handle him. I think the fact that they had a BeatBot there helped A LOT!


[Listening to his teacher]

[Working hard at PT]

Did you know that October 6th is World CP Day?! 


The first time Theo tried painting he got REALLY upset. His OT gave us another EazyGrip to try and this time it went a lot better.






[Some of Theo's homework is done right on his iPad]

[His laugh is the best!]


["Mom! Look at me coloring!"]



On October 8th, Josh, Theo, and I went to the OSF St Francis Children's Hospital in Peoria for Theo's three month check in with Oncology and Hematology at St Jude's.

[Blood work]

[Ultrasound]


The blood work and ultrasound went really well, but Theo started to get tired and restless as we were waiting to see the doctor at St Jude's. 



Good thing we brought the iPad (we never leave home without it). Theo was able to watch his class and some music videos to keep him occupied. 


Before the doctor came in we had a medical student come and talk to us. She asked us a lot of questions about Theo's medical history and then she asked if she could examine him. Of course! She started to check his vitals and then she lifted up his shirt and saw his back. She looked surprised. I quickly said, "Those are Port Wine Stains. They cover most of his body. Look at his legs." She did and then she asked us if anyone had mentioned that they look like bruises? "No, not bruises. But people have asked if he has a rash." She then asked if anyone had taken pictures and had them documented. I told her that I have a bunch of pictures of them (especially when he was younger), but to my knowledge no doctors had taken pictures. She moved on and then the doctor came in and told us that all of Theo's blood work looks good and his ultrasound is clear. Great! See you in 3 months!

On our way home from the hospital I started getting paranoid. What if Theo comes across someone at school and they see his PWS and report them as bruises? What if I'm not there to inform them and we get in trouble and have CPS called on us? That would be insane, BUT it could happen, right? I know the school knows about his PWS and they have his complete medical history, BUT BUT BUT... I don't know... I'm just so worried. Maybe I'll call the school nurse and talk to her about my concerns before he goes back to school. 

These pictures are from 2018. Do they look like bruises to you?



[Does your kid listen to their music like this? Nope? Just mine?]

[Another busy week in the books!]

My trainer Tommy Rivs has been weaned off of all life support, finished his 4th round of chemo, and has been moved to a bone marrow transplant ward. He's still fighting. I continue to run everyday for him. If you want a hat you can go here. All proceeds to to him and his family.



I got these ADORABLE Harry Potter book ends to go in the guest room]


Just a few pictures from Josh's work:



On Friday, October 9th, we watched what we hoped would be the final NBA game of the season. It was not. The guys even wore their Mamba jerseys. Bummer. We'll end it on Sunday!






I've been thinking a lot about working out and how I may not be in the norm. I sincerely LOVE working out. I really do enjoy it. I think there is a toxic relationship with food in our society and there is, by extension, a toxic relationship with working out. I love this quote:


Funny things:





On Sunday, October 11th, we watched my Lakers win their 17th NBA Championship! FOR KOBE!


[As the great Chick Hearn says, "You can put this one in the refrigerator!"]



[KOBE 😭😭]




I was sad when the NBA season got postponed, but they were able to finish it out in the "Disney Bubble" and we came out with another ring! Go Lakers! I can't wait until next season!

No comments: