Monday, October 4, 2021

Hanger, Self Care, & Happy 50th Anniversary Magic Kingdom!

On Monday, September 27th, we headed back to Hanger to get Theo fitted for new AFOs and SMOs. It has been over a year since he got his first set and he has grown A LOT in the last year. Josh did a great job distracting Theo so the Clinician could get all the measurements. We will pick up his new AFOs and SMOs in three weeks!


[Josh distracts with his beard, while I prefer using technology]

Theo is continuing to work hard at school!




[Food play and working hard in the stander]

On Wednesday, September 29th, Theo had PT. Before Cody came over she asked if we wanted to go for a ride on Theo's tryke. I put Theo's shoes on and then we waited for Cody to arrive. Theo was VERY into his puppy and he didn't want to let him go. It was very sweet!


[He loves his puppy]


That afternoon I went to the dermatologist to FINALLY have the cyst removed from my back! I've had three dermatologist turn me away (they said they didn't want to leave me with a scar), but this one actually listened to me when I told her how much it sucks to sleep with a marble taped to my back and how I didn't care if I had a scar ("Oh no! There goes my bikini modeling career!").

The procedure was pretty quick and I was in and out in just under an hour. It only hurt when she numbed the area and I got a little nauseated when I could feel her tugging on my skin when she was putting in the stitches. After she got the cyst out she asked if I wanted to see it. I kinda did... It was pretty gross looking. She removed the marble-sized cyst, a piece of my skin, and the fat that was surrounding the cyst. I was surprised at how much stuff she had to remove.


They told me to wash the wound, put antibacterial cream on it, and then keep it covered with a large bandaid. I made an appointment to come back in two weeks to have the stitches removed. 


On Thursday, September 30th, I went and got lashes! Fun, huh?!




Friday, October 1st, was Magic Kingdom's 50th Anniversary! I am glad we were not there on the actual anniversary, but I'm excited to celebrate in December!


[Insane crowds!]

I've been taking Ningxia and Elderberry syrup daily. I REALLY don't want to get sick before we go on our trip in December.


On Sunday, October 3rd, we had a family Zoom to discuss the first week of our Neilson Family Christmas vacation! I was looking through the height requirements for Universal and I noticed that my brothers are too tall to ride one of the rides!


October is AVM Awareness Month. We are doing a fundraiser to help raise awareness and funds at the end of the month, but here is the link if anyone is interested in learning more about Theo's condition and the organization.


[Me with Theo before his first angiogram back in 2018. I had no idea what we were getting ourselves into.]


One of the VOGM moms created this beautiful piece of artwork! It has the names of VOGM warriors from all over the world! It has also been turned into a t-shirt. All proceeds go to VOGM.org which raises money to help fellow VOGM families.


Theo also has a visual impairment and October is also visual impairment awareness month. 


It turns out I may have an adhesive allergy (or something). I tried a few different types of bandaids and medical tape and they both left itchy burns on my back. I definitely underestimated how rough this recovery process would be.




[Theo is currently obsessed with this ball. It has replaced Beat-Bo as his favorite toy!]

No comments: