Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Girls Weekend in Indy with Missy

Traveling is hard. Traveling with a child with Special Needs can be downright difficult. If there is a way for that difficulty to be reduced then I will take it. 

My parents are driving to Florida for our family vacation while the rest of us are flying. They told me if I wanted them to drive down some diapers and food for Theo that they would. All I needed to do was get them the items. I talked to Missy and we made plans to meet in Indianapolis for a weekend in November. I would bring her a few boxes of things for Theo and she would take them to my parents. I got the boxes ready to take to Missy, but then my parents decided that they would come and visit us the week before I was suppose to meet Missy in Indy. My parents ended up taking the boxes with them after they visited us, but Missy and I still wanted our Girls Weekend in Indy! And we did!

On Friday (November 12th) afternoon I headed down to Indy. Missy and I arrived at the hotel within a few minutes of each other. We checked in and got to our room. There Missy surprised me with the worlds best apple cider doughnuts from Iron Fruit Farms! AND she brought me one of her homemade orange rolls! It was shaping up to be a great weekend!


That night we went to dinner at a local, family owned Greek restaurant which was delicious!

The next morning (November 13th) we went for a walk around town. Our first stop was the Indiana State Capitol. 


We then walked down to Cafe Patachou to get some brunch. We had our fill before heading back out into the cold. Our next stop was the Soldiers and Sailors Monument. There were crews there turning it into a giant Christmas tree and Santa made a brief appearance. I'm sure it'll look great once all the lights are up and on.


Next, we headed to the Central Canal,


the White River State Park,


and to the White River Pedestrian Bridge.

[So cold and windy!]

After our walking tour of town, we headed back to the hotel to make plans for that afternoon. We tried to get appointments for pedicures but everything was booked. We then looked into getting tickets for the "Bands of America" competition that was happening that weekend at Lucas Oil Stadium. The tickets were $45-65, which was a little much so we decided to pass on that. Missy then suggested that we go to the NBA Pacers game. I was shocked and very excited! I looked up the Gainbridge Fieldhouse rules to see if we needed to have our vaccine cards or a negative COVID test in order to get into the arena. It didn't say anything about that on their website (only that mask were recommended), so we decided to drive down to the arena and buy some tickets. Construction was terrible so I had Missy drop me off at the front entrance while she made a lap around the block. As I approached the front doors I saw this sign and my heart dropped:


Oh poop. Luckily, Missy had her vaccine card, but I didn't have mine. We then drove around town looking for a place for me to get tested, but everything was closed. We then headed to CVS to see if I could get a rapid test. They were all booked up for testing, but the pharmacist suggested that I buy a "do-it-yourself-at-home-COVID-test." So I did. I thought that if I had a picture of my vaccine card and a negative "do-it-yourself-at-home-COVID-test" that I would be fine and be able to go to the game. 

We then headed back to the arena so I could talk to the box office people and see if they would let me in the arena for the game. I told the guy at the box office what my plan was and he looked at me like I was crazy. He told me I didn't need a negative COVID test or a vaccine to get into the game. I then showed him the picture of the signs that were outside. He sighed and said that those were from the comedy show that was there last night and that rules change according to what is happening in the arena. He apologize and said that the signs should have been taken down. UGH! He told me that I was good to go and he helped me buy some awesome tickets!

I then ran back outside and told Missy what had happened. We then headed BACK to CVS so I could return my "do-it-yourself-at-home-COVID-test." PHEW! Crisis adverted!

After we secured our tickets and got some drinks from CVS we headed down to Amelia's Bakery. We got a bunch of tasty treats and then went back to the hotel to eat.


[Lucas Oil Stadium]

[All of our tasty treats]

After consuming our snacks we took naps and then headed back to the Gainbridge Fieldhouse for the Pacers vs 76ers NBA game!

We entered the arena and headed first to the food stand to get some chicken fingers and drinks. Once we got our dinner we made our way to our seats. 

Center court and second row of the Club Level. Can't complain about that!



The crowd was fun and the game was entertaining!


[Band section]



Yay! It's always fun when the team you are rooting for wins!



On our way out of the arena I stopped by the gift shop and bought a pin. It looks great on my map!


The next morning (November 14th) we went to Long's Bakery to get some highly recommended doughnuts. I got a glazed twist and a chocolate long John. They were both very tasty and reminded me of the doughnuts from Dad's on Balboa Island.

[Waiting in the snow for some warm doughnuts!]



After getting our doughnuts Missy dropped me off at the hotel and she headed off to Ohio. I then got ready, packed my things, and headed north. It was snowing hard and the roads were pretty slushy for the first hour, but then things cleared up. While I was driving I was able to listen into Kenna and Porter's Primary Program. Luckily I stopped to get gas right when it was Porter's turn to speak. I could hear his cute voice, but the adults forgot to point the camera down for the kids. Oops! 


Thanks Missy for joining me for a fun weekend! We need to do this more often!

No comments: