Saturday, December 16, 2023

Trip to Utah - Saying Goodbye to Kenny

Thursday, December 14th:

I flew out of Midway in the late morning and made it to SLC without any issues.

[Did you know that they have Garrett's Popcorn at Midway now?!]

I got my rental car and headed down the road to meet my old housemate, Lisa, at her work. We, of course, went to Cafe Rio and spent a few hours catching up. It was so great to see her!

I forgot to get a picture so here is one of us back in 2009:


And here's one from my wedding in 2014:


I then drove to my hotel in Provo and dropped off my stuff before heading to Luke and Andie's new condo. 


They gave me the grand tour (including detailed stops in Porter and Kenna's rooms) and then we headed to Chipotle. We spent the rest of the evening chatting and playing. We didn't even bother to turn on the Chargers game, since they got destroyed by the raiders 63-21. I guess this year just wasn't our year.


Friday, December 15th:

I slept in and then went to Luke and Andie's condo to hang out with Luke and Kenna. It's so nice that Luke can work from home on Friday's and Monday's! After we dropped Kenna off at Preschool Luke and I went to the BYU Creamery. We got our milk and then went to J. Dawgs to get lunch. It was all delicious and a perfect combination! 



We then drove by my old stomping grounds: The Pistachio Hut (aka The P Hut). I lived here my senior year of college! There are some good memories in that old crapy house. I have to admit it looks nicer now that they painted it 🙂


After Andie and the kids got home from work and school we went to In-n-Out for dinner. I can't believe I waited over 28 hours to get my #3 (no onions, add pickles) and fry (well), but it was worth the wait!


Saturday, December 16th:

It was a two hour drive to Malad from Provo and I am glad that our friend, Lacey, came with me. We chat pretty frequently on Marco Polo, but it's always fun to talk in person. 


Kenny's funeral was held at the LDS Church in Malad. The church was decorated with pictures of Kenny with his family and friends. There was a video collage running and tables with some of his memorabilia.





We got in line for the viewing and said hi to a lot of Emily and Kenny's friends and family. Right before we went into the viewing room, Katey showed up. She had flown up from Vegas that day with a few other friends. I'm glad she was with me when we went in to see Emily. I met Kenny's parents and offered them my condolence. No parent should have to bury their child. We then saw Emily and gave her a huge group hug. It hit me so hard and it breaks my heart now to say this, but my best friend is a widow and she's not even 40. 

After chatting with Emily for a second we were ushered forward (the line was long - a lot of people wanted to say goodbye). Katey then took me over to meet Emily and Kenny's girls, Olivia and Addison. They are the same age as Theo, but I've never met them in person (just on Marco Polo). Katey told them I was Aunt Courtney and they both said, "Star Wars Aunt Courtney?!" It was so cute! I then went over to say hi to my buddy Easton. He is a huge Star Wars fan too! He likes to send me Star Wars questions and I send back Marco's with my answers. He knew who I was and gave me the biggest hug!

We then moved into the culture hall for the funeral service. Kenny's brother, Blake, and best friend growing up, Dusty, gave talks. We laughed, we cried, and we learned a lot about this amazing man that we all love. Blake and Dusty told stories from Kenny's childhood that were classic "small town" stories. I wish I could count the number of times Kenny's "sweet dance moves" were mentioned. That guy LOVED to dance! They also talked about his kindness and his sense of humor and how he was a great dad, brother, and friend.

Kenny and Emily love Cold Play and when Emily was driving home from the hospital after Kenny passed the song Everglow was playing on the radio. Kennys cousins sang and played an acoustic version that was so beautiful. After the services at the church we headed to the local cemetery. 




[The smallest and bravest casket bearer, Easton]

[Kenny's oldest son, Kason]




After a prayer was said Emily and the kids said goodbye.





[Emily's parents, brothers, and her sister were all able to make it]

[Emily with friends from Vegas (plus me and Lacey)]

Katey and I went to get a picture with Emily. We held it together for a second and then we all broke down.




We've been friends for 20 years. We are there for each other through all the good and all the bad.


I still can't believe he is gone. The funeral was tragic, but so beautiful. We'll miss you, Kenny. Don't worry, we'll take care of Emily and the kids. You are all so loved.

After a quick luncheon Katey and some of the Vegas people headed back to SLC to catch their flight. Lacey and I then headed back south to Provo. Today was a hard day. I'm so glad that Lacey came with me and that we were able to be there to support Emily and her family.

After I dropped off Lacey I went to Luke and Andie's where I was greeted with the biggest hug from Andie. I really needed that. I'm so glad I made my trip longer, so I could spend time with my family. I needed to be with people and I'm so glad they let me hang out with them for a few days.

No comments: