Thursday, August 24, 2017

Total Solar Eclipse - August 21, 2017

I remember talking about the upcoming 2017 Total Solar Eclipse way back in 2006 while I was on an excavation in St. George with my fellow nerdy archaeologist. A few years ago I put a count down on my phone so I could make sure I was in a prime location for said Eclipse. And ever since Josh and I were able to see the 2012 Annular Solar Eclipse I have been so excited about the Total Solar Eclipse.

A few months ago I started researching where the best spot would be to view the phenomenon. I came to the conclusion that Carbondale, Illinois would be the best location for us. It was relatively close, there was a huge party planned, and the totality was going to be the longest in the United States! Sold! I booked our hotel and patiently waiting for the date to get here.

I still planned on going with Theo (I'm always down for an adventure!), however, I did not anticipate how hard my recovery was going to be and how traveling was just not an option. At the last minute I canceled our hotel reservation and Theo and I decided to watch the partial eclipse from home.


Just a few minutes before C1 was to start I went outside to see the sun BUT it was cloudy and raining! :-(


Never fear! David Muir, Bill Nye and the ABC news team had us covered!


When C2 started I went back out side and the clouds where starting to clear! I could see the sun!



Theo wasn't happy if I left the Raptor, so we watched it from inside. It was still amazing!




[Love this!]

I was sad I wasn't able to see totality but there is another Total Solar Eclipse that will be passing through the area in seven years! I really need to make that one count!


No comments: