Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Trip to South America



Are you surprised? If you know me at all, you shouldn't be.

In early December, my parents, Josh, Theo, and I will be flying to South America where we will spend 10 days running around Peru before flying down to Chile to board the Zaandam for a 22-Day cruise!


While in Peru we will visit the Sacred Valley, Pisac Ruins, Pisac Market, Ollantaytambo, Machu Picchu, Cuzco, Sacsayhuaman, and Lake Titicaca.





After our Peruvian land adventure we will fly down to Santiago, Chile and board the Holland America Line's Zaandam. This beautiful ship will take us to four ports in Chile, through the Chilean Fjords, and then stop in Ushuaia (Argentina) before heading down to Antarctica! We will spend four days in the Antarctic Peninsula before heading to the Falkland Islands, a few ports in Argentina, Montevideo (Uruguay), and then finally docking in Buenos Aires.

During our adventure on the cruise we will visit Torres del Paine National Park (in the Andes), see King Penguins, and end the trip with a visit to Iguazu Falls.



Anyone who knows me knows how much I love to travel. I love to meet new people and learn about their history and cultures. I also love to see new places and I enjoy new experiences.

Bottom line is that I know this may be my only chance to go on this particular adventure. We don't know what is going to happen to Theo, no one does. He may end up in a wheelchair without the ability to walk, talk, or function without aid. He may have to have care for the rest of his life, which means he may always live with us. And I don't have a problem with that. He's my child and I will always love and take care of him.

Due to these unknown possibilities, I've decided to be selfish and go on a trip. I think that taking Theo while he is young and we are still able to carry him and easily get around, is the best choice for us. I asked my parents to come with us so that they can help with Theo. I am beyond thrilled that they are agreeing to come.

And, of course, I okayed this whole trip with Theo's doctors before I put down our deposit. His health comes first in my book!

1 comment:

emilie s. d. p. said...

This trip sounds so amazing! I can't wait to see all your photos & hear about your favorite parts. I think you're so smart to go now. A couple years ago Mitch & I were on a bus in Tokyo & there was a family from Sweden with a young child (about 15 mos).
We got to talking with them & they basically said they decided that they didn't want having children be an excuse to hold them back from the life they wanted to live. They were obviously very caring with their child & they basically said it just required them to be more flexible & have more daytime naps but that overall they enjoyed traveling just as much with their kid as they did before they had him (it sounded like they had traveled a lot prior to having kids). They also said they would rather travel with their child & have the delays/flexibility that it might cause rather than leave him behind & I loved that too. Props to you!!