Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The 2010 World Armwrestling Championships

I don't like Mesquite, NV. I've stayed in a lot of places over the last few years (nature of the work) and Mesquite would have to be my least favorite. I always dread going to NV because my boss would rather have us stay in Mesquite instead of Vegas (which would be my choice).

This last week I was sent to do a survey just north of Vegas with my co-worker, Heidi, for our big pipeline project. I begged my boss to let us stay in Vegas but, of course, he said no.

So Heidi and I headed to Nevada to do our survey.

Since we are awesome, Heidi and I finished the survey faster then expected. I called my boss to let him know and he told us to head back to Mesquite to hang out for a few hours while he tried to come up with something for us to do.

To kill some time Heidi and I headed to the Casablanca Hotel to get some lunch and walk around. While we at lunch our server asked us if we were "in the competition". We laughed and said no and then she proceeded to tell us that the 2010 World Armwrestling Championship was taking place right now in town. WHAT?!

Apparently it's a huge deal! Over 1600 contestants from 31 different countries! And the best part?! Admission was FREE!

So Heidi and I headed over to watch the competition. It was so awesome! The place was full of super buff guys from all over the world. I still can't believe how intense it all was.

My favorite team (next to USA of course) was Sweden! The Swedish were really into the competition and they showed their pride buy wearing Viking helmets and waving the Swedish flags.

I'm still not a huge fan of Mesquite but being able to go to the 2010 World Armwrestling Championship made it tolerable!

No comments: